HAM316 Engine Control retrofit
Van Oord ship management rewarded MSA-Service Noord BV with the retrofit of the Local Control Systems(LCS) of the Wärtsilä W38A engines on board of their trailing suction hopper dredger HAM316.
The scope of the project was:
- Replacement of the LCS with the new Engine Control System(ECS)
- Removal of the thermocouple connection pipe to eliminate connectors on the engine
- Replacement of all the junction boxes and Main terminal box on the engine
- Renewal of the cabling on the engine and to the control system
- Implementation of an additional interface between the Engine Control System and the Van Oord Dredging Automation System
- Delivery of set of spare parts
The prerequisites were:
- Hardware interface with the ships system had to be identical to the old system.
- The software interface with the alarm system had to be identical to the old system.
- All signals had to be tested during a FAT at our premises, and during a SAT after commissioning
- It had to be a turn-key solution
- Drawing approval and certification of cabinets by Bureau Veritas
The conversion was executed on the German Drydock yard in Bremerhaven during a dry docking. The installation was done during/together with an engine overhaul to prevent production losses. As the sensors on the engine were in good condition, there was no need to replace them, which improved the lead time and cost price.
The conversion ended on the 9 of august 2018 with a successful sea trail.